Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Nashville Bound Dog

So I just got back from 10 days away in Nashville. I left out of DC Friday April 11th and drove about 3 hours (traffic 4 hours) south to Steeles Tavern VA to the most delightful bed and breakfast, Sugar Tree Inn. Ernie had arrived a few hours before me and had a fire going in our room when I got there. Within moments, I was changed and in the hot tub sipping on a sweet ice tea. IT WAS PERFECT. From the drive and the long week at work we were both beat and went to bed early. The sheets on the bed were the SOFTEST sheets I have ever felt in my life - I even dreamed that I tried to buy them. IT WAS PERFECT. We got up early and got some breakfast omelettes, baked oatmeal (ok, I'll just say it - neither of us liked that) and we were back on the road to Knoxville - he on the Harley and me in the truck! About two hours later we stopped at Cracker Barrel for lunch. We arrived in Knoxville about 2pm. After all that driving we took a walk along the Tennessee River and had yummy BBQ at Calhouns. Ernie decided we had had enough driving for one day and we checked into the Knoxville Marriott downtown where we were upgraded to a bigger room. We walked to the Mast General Store. On our walk, one crazy thing, we saw a huge cloud of smoke, Ernie ran down to see what it was - a car was on fire. Come to find out, it was a guy involved in a police chase and he crashed on one of the exits. It was all over the news the next morning. Sunday morning, we treated ourselves to breakfast in bed.

Then back on the road again. Through sleet and snow, we made it to Nashville. We arrived at the Hotel Preston 2:30 our time, delightfully 1:30 Nashville time. The Hotel Preston is awesome - we knicknamed it Swanky Town. First of all they let him park the harley up on the sidewalk under the entry canopy! We were again upgraded to a bigger room. We loved it! Oh and get this, it is cheap - like $119.00 a night cheap!

We went to Lane Car Museum, the Loveless Cafe for dinner (the biscuits and jam are every bit as good as they claim.) Then went downtown and hit some of the bars spending most of our time at Coyote Ugly. (Photo courtesy of Sandy Perry cause I did not think to snap one!)

Monday, we got up headed to the harley dealership, out to breakfast, ran a few errands and then went to Cooter's - as in the Dukes of Hazzard. We went over to Opry Mills and literally ran into Mel. We hung out for a little while, played glow golf - which on a Monday during the day was just a little strange. And Monday night, we went to the CMT Awards. It was definately an experience! We were down on the floor but you won't see us among the crowd. I loved the opportunity to see so many artists in one night BUT it was definately a lot of work. Oh and the presenters were bizarre - Tom Arnold and Jewel??

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hey Megan -
Thanks for the shout & using my picture. Miss everyone bunches & bunches!!! Take care!! :)
- Sandy
1/2 of FPS